- Hand Painted and Hand Decorated
- Made in Portugal
- Measurements 10 25.5 Cm Height
- Since These Figurines Are Handmade And Painted Some Pieces May Be Slightly Different Than The Pictures Posted
- REF #13105
Dr Jose Tomas de Sousa Martins (7 March 1843 19 August 1897)was a doctor renowned for his work amongst the poor in Lisbon, Portugal. After his death, a secular cult has arisen around him in which he is thanked for "miraculous" cures.
Born in Alhandra (near Vila Franca de Xira) he moved to Lisbon in his youth, and qualified in pharmacy (1864) and medicine (1866). He then practiced as a doctor in the Pena area of Lisbon, specializing in the treatment of tuberculosis. His work was entirely on a secular basis, but he was noted in his life for the care he gave to the poor. In 1897, he was poisoned by an unknown person possibly due to jealousy of his popularity amongst the medical community.
In 1904, a statue of him was erected in the Campo dos Martires da Patria in Lisbon, outside the current Faculty of Medicinal Sciences (New University of Lisbon). This statue has become the center of a quasi-religious cult in which the spirit Dr Sousa Martins is believed able to assist in cures. The foot of the statue is surrounded by marble plaques giving thanks to him for unexpected cures, some calling him "Brother", candles burn all around it and flowers are placed there.
His veneration was never recognized by the Catholic Church but it remains even today.